Thursday, 23 September 2010

Pedro Meyer

One of my all time favourite documentary photographers, his images not only show the subject and surroundings but have a depth to them that gives the viewer a taste of the atmosphere at the time it was taken.

Images from part of his Cuba Imagined Gallery: Gazes





























Link to Cuba Imagined Site: http://www.pedromeyer.com/galleries/cuba/index.html

Another interesting gallery: http://www.pedromeyer.com/galleries/usa/ 

4 comments:

  1. Chris, a beautiful series. So much life in their eyes. Its important to note, as you have, how the background gives of a taste of their life, activities, routine, etc. These details are crucial to establishing personality within the portrait. How can you achieve this in your own personal work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not necessarily a fan of portraits, however I can often be swayed when I see that a photographer can capture somebodies personality within the photograph. The top image is my favourite as you really get a sense of the person and there surroundings; there is a lot of emotion in there eyes. Are you interested in creating images like this for your project?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photographs are really good, I think you have chosen an artist that creates a lot of feeling, I think he was right to photograph in black and white as it makes more emotion. The detail and depth of these photographs really gets your attention and it makes it feel personal.
    Do you want to create similar self portraits for your work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking to create images in this style, not necessarily just focusing on the portrait side of it though, i think what makes him so skilled as a photographer is how he manages to capture a sense of story in all the images he takes allowing the viewer to imagine the emotion and surroundings at the time it was taken. If you look at his galleries and other works he does a lot of landscapes and scenes from his travels around the world. Something that may interest you if your not a big fan of portrait.

    ReplyDelete